Post Thanks / Like

Re: Draggin out cut bait

Moosh it up, add some scent put in containers, freeze and attach to anchor line. works great for stripers and sturgeon and even lings in the kelp.

Post Thanks / Like

I use frozen sardines or anchovies one trip and then any leftovers get refroze for use in a crab trap bait cup.If I have live herring,sardines or anchovies they get frozen for a future trip and then its crab bait for them too

Post Thanks / Like

You can put the rotten bait in panty hose. I wrap thread around my liver to keep it on the hook. You can also try pouring salt on your anchovies. It pulls all the moisture out of them and they should last quite a bit longer but they might not be as effective. The easiest way to deal with it is to fish with artificial lures only and then you won't have to deal with the mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Draggin out cut bait

So you go to the local bait store. Being new to the use of cut bait you buy alittle more than you thought you'd use and so after several hours of fishing you still have half a bag of anchovies and almost a full one of shad. What do you do? Well I put them in the freezer and used them the next day. Not too bad. Than put them in the freezer again. By the 3rd day the anchovies were all but sliding off their bones. It was near impossible to rig and messy. Crabs, small cats and schoolies were having a buffet nibbling the bait apart. Despite that, I caught my first fish from this set of bait on the 3rd day. A small channel cat in the delta. So my question, how do you make the most of your cut bait for future fishing outings if you don't use it all in one? How long is too long? Preservatives? Other uses? Thanks alot folks! I'm new to the boards and fishing. My official introduction is on the general freshwater forums.