Post Thanks / Like

Re: Could someone please recommend a good salmon rod/reel combo for me (shore based)?

Are you looking for a spinning or casting combo? I have a G. Loomis 8'6 spinning combo for sale that I used but a few times with spinners on the Feather River...PM me if interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Hook Could someone please recommend a good salmon rod/reel combo for me (shore based)?

I live in Sacramento and look forward to fishing the shoreline of the rivers for salmon this year (its been a heck of a long time!). I don't have a boat so will be relegated to casting from shore with spinners or beads. Could someone please recommend a good rod and reel combo for me to buy? What length rod should I get and how stiff? I'm partial to Abu Garcia. What about a reel and what size line should I get on it for big salmon? I'm a big fan of braid, is that the way to go? If so, what pound test I should get? I'm looking to spend around $250 max. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated so I'm not completely clueless when I enter the store.