Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone familiar with clamming at Lawson's Land

That's the exact same question I asked my buddy when I first saw one. I thought it was geoduck because it was so big. But no, its called a horseneck clam though many people will tell you it reminds them of something else! :) By the way, if you're really good and really lucky, you can find geoducks in Tomales Bay too but they're a rarity.

Post Thanks / Like

hey was that clam a geoduck? I saw those on dirty jobs

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Vito? You said you might try rock fishing

while at Lawson's Landing. Where can you fish for rock fish round there? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man abdiver12 you made me actually LOL.That pic says it all ;D ;D

Post Thanks / Like

If this is your first time clamming, be prepared to get DIRTY, MUDDY, AND WET! *I would highly recommend wearing a spring suit (like surfers wear) with booties. *Shoes will inevitably get stuck in the mud and ruined as will your clothes. *Be prepared to spend alot of time with your face in the stinky mud and water reaching into the 5 foot deep hole and feeling for the neck of your horse neck clam. *Its very hard to feel the clam with a shovel which can also damage the clam. *It also helps if you have long arms because the hole you dig will have to be very deep. *Look for the larger air holes in the sand - they indicate a thick neck and a larger, juicier clam. *The ones we caught averaged roughly 8" by 3". *You will be quite pleased with their size should your muddied efforts pay off. *If it doesn't suit you, try raking the sand for cockles - much cleaner and easier. *Happy hunting!

You very soon! *Notice the expression on his face. * :)

What you should hopefully end up with. * :P

Post Thanks / Like

Clamming at Lawsons was always a fun thing to do. Ditto for all the stories and info that all these sniffers already posted. We use to frequent the area between 1970's and 80's. The area was alive with sea life. I can remenber finding a squirt and the frantic digging to get the down to the shell. As you shoveled out loads of sand the sides kept caving in, so you had to shore up the sides of the hole would fill in. It was like a frantic race to get to the clam.

One thing we learned was to look at the exposed rock structure that was above the clambeds. We would look for places where you could see where there was a rock base underneath with no more than 3-4 ft sand above. Those places were easier to get to the clams because we knew the clams were trapped above the rock base and you didn't have to dig 5-6 ft down to get your prize. My uncle was a geologist so he had an eye for looking at the rock strata and the stress layers/lines and he could tell where the rock sloped down below the sandbeach. The proper slope line was about 30 degrees downwards. Any steeper slope meant deeper sand and more work digging.

A typical day would consist of getting there around HI tide. We would then find a nice undisturbed stretch of sandy beach. We had about 6-8 crab nets so we would place those out and spread them out about 50 yds apart, in different depths. Meanwhile, we would go back to the shore and set out a couple fishing poles out, tying them down to their sandspikes so they don't get pulled into the water. Then we would proceed to dig for clams because it was getting close to LO tide. After getting tired of digging and harvesting clams, it was time to check the nets and get a load of dungies. Then you haul the crabs to shore and proceeed to get the coleman stove going and start a pot of water going. Then a fishing pole's bell would be ringing away now you have fish. After that it's time to eat some fresh crab, take a rest, drink a beer and then boat out to the crabnets. Some of the nets were doing better that others, so you would move the slower nets closer towords the hotter nets. Now it's time to haul the new load of crabs back to shore, rest and then dig for more clams. Ooops, somebodies pole is ringing so now you have another fish. Time to rest and then it's time to check the nets. After moving your nets around to the best area, you will have them is a rather tight circle you have zeroed in to where the crabs are. Then you go for another cycle until you are drunk, tired, stomach full of crab, a bucket full of clams (and more crab to take home), and it's getting twords HI tide again and time to head home.

Sometimes we would boat out to Bird Rock and get abalone until we found out that the place is a migratory Great White area, so we stopped the ab diving. Going out into the surfline was a pretty hairy ride that you only need once to experience before you say that's all for me folks. Watching the rollers coming up and spanking your transom as your outboard engine is already hammered down is an eye opening thing to see and experience. Sorta like playing Russian Roulete without a revolver.

All in all, that place was a really fun place as all here can attest to. Too bad those days are gone. That was good clean fun indeed! This day just was a typical day. We have a tonfull of other stories about that place. I'd bet that these other Sniffers have enough stories that will keep this thread alive for a long, long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips...thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

i have done much clamming at lawsons. The last time out the island was getting hit hard and the big clams just went coming like in years past. We had always had good luck getting almost football sized clams. Across from the island on the inshore side the is a small channel. this seperates 2 pieces of land. there will be nobody usually at all on that far side of that channel. When we went over to that side to investiaget it we were into the huge clams. They were every were, we even got a few double pulls from same pipe. We always tried to get out on the best minus tide we could. We were younger and was fun to do well getting drunk also. Its alot of work and the best clams are down approx 5 feet. good luck though

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty cool Vito, I will run it by the wife ;D ;D I'll call ya later.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike you were posting at the exact same time I was :o. What a coincidence. I'm going to be at Lawsons for 4 days May 11, 12, 13, 14 for crabbing, clamming and maybe some rock fishing. You and the family should come. We are inviting all our friends!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast