Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Sacrament] Crappie, Perch, Bluegill & Redear Sunfish

Well how did it go, catch a lot of crappie ect......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "CRAPPIE GUY" View Post
    Sutter bypass is a good area for bluegills...
    Anywhere on the right side after you pass the Sac Airport and Bridge over the river. Take the first exist and go left, anywhere on the right is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "CRAPPIE GUY" View Post
    Sutter bypass is a good area for bluegills...
    I used to have a ton of luck with a weird technique. I would dropshot redworms/salmon eggs and keep the bait suspended and moving. Also a bobber with a long leader (4 feet or so) with a redworm/nighcrawler piece. This second technique might be more effective because we are a little ahead of the spawn.

Keep the hooks as small as possible of course and dont cut your hands on the fins!

Also keep us updated, I am currently VERY interested in doing some panfishing for bluegill/perch/sunfish in our area and would love to know if you have any luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish [Sacrament] Crappie, Perch, Bluegill & Redear Sunfish

I'm heading out Wednesday 03/07/2012 to do some pan fishing. I'm thinking about fishing in Sacramento - Rocklin area. I have not decided on if I want to go to a State, County or a free creek/stream. Fill free to toss out places that would be promising for pan fish. I'm leaving the boat at home and I will be fishing along the shore, banks or doc's.

What are some tips & tricks for hunting down these buys? I have some night crawlers, jigs & tubes, power worms and power bait. I'm thinking about picking up some wax worms as well.

I'm also going to post in the Hitchhiker's section to see if anyone would like to come hang out and play hide & seek with the small fishes.

Bluegills are popular panfish, caught with live bait, flies, pieces of corn, small crankbaits, spinners, American cheese pushed around a hook, maggots, small frogs, or even a bare hook. They mostly bite on vibrant colors like orange, yellow, green, or red, chiefly at dawn and dusk. Some of the easiest baits to use for them are earthworms, live crickets and grasshoppers, white bread, cheese, or a corn kernel. Other efficient baits are redworms, waxworms, and other worms. They are noted for seeking out underwater vegetation for cover; their natural diet consists largely of small invertebrates and very small fish. The bluegill itself is also occasionally used as bait for larger game fish species, such as blue catfish, flathead catfish and largemouth bass.
    pring and fall is the best season to catch them. The easiest time to catch a crappie is during the early morning and in the late afternoon. Their eyes are sensitive to light that's why you can catch them easily with the help of flying insects around. The bobber and jig are the best approach during spring and fall. Crappie move closer and closer in an overcast especially weeds. Setup the pole first, place your jig on the line. then bobber can be placed anywhere above the jig. There are various color, type, and size of the jig can be changed to fit your present condition. Experimenting with it and finding what's best for you.
    Regard Heaven as your father, Earth as your mother, and all things as your brothers and sisters.